The MAT-X is a post-baccalaureate program designed for individuals who are seeking an alternate route to become a highly qualified special educator. The MAT-X program of study consists of 11 graduate level courses that are offered completely online. All participants in the program will receive a mild/ moderate special education endorsement on their teaching license. Before participants can enroll in the first internship course, they must secure a teaching position in a Mississippi public school as a special education teacher and provide a copy of their employment contract.
We are not currently able to admit students living in the state of Georgia.
- Go to the Graduate School website.
- Click on the "Apply Online Now" tab
- Click "Apply Online" for the year/semester in which you will begin taking classes.
- On the next page, create an account with the Graduate School using your email address and a password. If you are currently a student at MSU or a returning applicant, you may log in on the right of the screen using your MSU email address and password.
- Once your account has been created, you will be directed to a home screen. Under the column App #, choose "New" to create a new application.
- A new screen will appear. This will be the beginning of your application.
- The first section is: Admission Information.
- Under the first drop down box, choose which semester you plan on beginning classes. (i.e. Spring 2019, Fall 2019, etc.).
- Under Program of Study, choose "Master of Arts Teaching Special Education Alternate Route."
- Continue to answer the next few questions based on your degree plan.
- Under which campus to attend, choose "Academic Outreach- Dist. Educ."
- Complete the rest of this section
Be sure to submit your application when all sections are complete. Please note that your application will not be considered until all forms have been submitted, we have received your Praxis scores, and your application fee has been paid.
- If you begin an application and forget your login and/or password, do not begin another application. Please contact the Office of the Graduate School at 662.325.7400 for assistance.
- Complete a background check through CastleBranch. Enter Package Code MI43.
- Admission packets are forwarded from the Office of the Graduate School to CISE upon completion. CISE faculty uses a committee review process to admit teacher candidates to the MAT-X program. Once a decision has been made, applicants are notified of their admission status.
- Once admitted, it is the responsibility of the student to contact Susan Steward at email@example.com within one week of being admitted to the program for advisement on course enrollment.
- For students seeking financial assistance, please note that provisionally admitted students may not be eligible for financial aid. Aid may be available after full program admission.
- All students admitted to the MAT-X program must complete the CISE Graduate Student Orientation
- Graduation from the MAT-X program requires the successful completion of all coursework and passing scores on the comprehensive examination. The comprehensive examination is taken during the last 6 hours of coursework or in the terminal semester. Students in the MAT-X program will take the Principles of Learning and Teaching examination. Do not register for the examination until you have been provided a list of appropriate testing dates.
Once enrolled in graduate study, a student who fails to meet the continuous enrollment requirement must complete an Application for Readmission to register for classes. Continuous enrollment is defined as enrollment in two of three semester terms (Fall, Spring, or Summer) with Fall enrollment required. Students who have not been enrolled for a period of three years or longer and are in good academic standing, are eligible to reapply to through the Lapsed Student Program. Readmission is not guaranteed and must be approved by the Department Head, Academic Dean, and Dean of the Graduate School. Interested students or academic departments should contact the Graduate School for more information.