Admission to the graduate programs at the Adkerson School of Accountancy is competitive. We expect to receive more applications than we have the capacity to accommodate in our programs. A committee of faculty members from the Adkerson School of Accountancy will review applications. A student applying to the Adkerson School of Accountancy for the Master of Professional Accountancy or the Master of Taxation must meet the following requirements for their application to be reviewed for admission:
- Complete an Application
- GMAT is waived for Fall 2021 Admissions.
- A 3.0 GPA or above on all course work or the last 60 hours of courses attempted.
- A 3.0 GPA or above in all Accounting classes.
- Hold a four-year, regionally accredited (SACS, NCACS, NEACS, etc.) bachelor's degree from a U.S. institution
- Be a U.S. citizen or a Green Card holder (Permanent Resident) and have either a USA or APO address
- Completion of the following prerequisites or the equivalent in a curriculum emphasizing Generally Accepted Accounting Principles as pronounced by the Financial Accounting Standards Board:
- ACC 3003 Accounting Information Systems I
- ACC 3013 Cost Accounting
- ACC 3023 Intermediate Accounting I
- ACC 3033 Intermediate Accounting II
- ACC 4013 Income Tax
- ACC 4033 Auditing
- Completion of the following prerequisites or the equivalent:
- BL 2413 Legal Environment of Business
- EC 2113 Principles of Macroeconomics
- EC 2123 Principles of Microeconomics
- FIN 3123 Financial Management
- A course demonstrating computer literacy
- A course demonstrating written communication skills
The application deadlines for Master of Professional Accountancy and Master of Taxation are as followed:
|Priority Application Deadlines|
We will continue to consider applications up to the following dates if program capacity has not been reached:
Domestic/International Classified Admissions
- Complete and submit the online Graduate Admission Application. You will choose either the Master of Professional Accountancy or the Master of Taxation as your Program of Study and Online Education as your campus.
- Upload Statement of Purpose - Provide two to three paragraphs on who you are, explain why you are pursuing graduate studies, and share why you have selected the Mississippi State Online program. You may even discuss your past academic performance, and what that says about your ability to succeed in a graduate level program.
- Three letters of recommendation
- You will be asked to list three names and three email addresses of individuals you are using as references. Once you click submit, these individuals will be sent an email from MSU, which will provide a link to an online form for completing their recommendations.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for international students
- ETS is providing home testing for the TOEFL iBT test, and MSU is encouraging students to take advantage of this testing option. For those students applying who have taken the TOEFL within five years of the semester they plan to enroll and are unable to access the TOEFL iBT test from home, we will accept your previous test scores.
- One official transcript showing bachelor’s degree or progress toward degree. (For international students, please submit a copy in native language along with translated copies, if appropriate.)
- One official transcript showing ALL work after bachelor’s degree. (For international students, please submit a copy in native language along with translated copies, if appropriate.)
- Electronic transcripts should be sent to: Mississippi State University, Graduate School, firstname.lastname@example.org. Only one copy of an electronic transcript is required.
- Paper transcripts should be mailed to: Mississippi State University
The Office of the Graduate School
P.O. Box G
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Physical Street Address (for DHL, Fed Ex, UPS, DHS, etc.):
Mississippi State University
Office of the Graduate School
175 President Circle
116 Allen Hall
Mississippi State, MS 39762
- Payment of $60 non-refundable application processing fee for domestic students.
Payment of $80 non-refundable application processing fee for international students.
- Once you are admitted, you will receive an email with complete instructions on registering for classes and contacting your advisor
Once enrolled in graduate study, a student who fails to meet the continuous enrollment requirement must complete an Application for Readmission to register for classes. Continuous enrollment is defined as enrollment in two of three semester terms (Fall, Spring, or Summer) with Fall enrollment required. Students who have not been enrolled for a period of three years or longer and are in good academic standing, are eligible to reapply to through the Lapsed Student Program. Readmission is not guaranteed and must be approved by the Department Head, Academic Dean, and Dean of the Graduate School. Interested students or academic departments should contact the Graduate School for more information.