- Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher in each departmental course (GG/GR course prefix)
- 124 credit hours are required to earn the Bachelor of Science degree
- New students must begin the program in the fall semester
- All courses are offered on the semester system
- Instructors have advanced degrees and are recognized experts and real-life practitioners in their field
- Course materials such as exercises, assignments, study guides, exams, and lectures will be delivered via the Internet using Canvas. Canvas is a software program designed specifically for online learning.
Listed below is the course schedule for the BOMP core courses. The courses are offered only during the semester under which they are listed.
BOMP FIRST YEAR
|GR 1123 - Intro World Geography||GR 1604 - Weather and Climate||GR 4643 - Physical Climatology|
|GR 1114 - Physical Geography||GR 4813 - Natural Hazards|
BOMP SECOND YEAR
|GR 4633 - Statistical Climatology||GG 3613 - Water Resources||GR 4613 - Applied Climatology|
|GR 4713 - Synoptic Meteorology I*||GR 4753/6753 - Satellite & Radar
|GR 4473 - Numerical Weather
BOMP THIRD YEAR
|GR 4623 - Physical Meteorology||GR 4443 - Weather Prediction I||GR 4453 - Weather Prediction II|
|GR 4913 - Thermodynamic
|GR 4923 - Severe Weather*||GG 3603 - Intro to Oceanography|
*Students seeking AMS, NWS, and/or WMO requirements should make the following adjustments to their program of study to include calculus-based courses:
- Take GR 4733 Synoptic Meteorology instead of GR 4713 Synoptic Meteorology I
- Take GR 4823 Dynamic Meteorology instead of GR 4913 Thermodynamic Meteorology
- Take GR 4963 Mesoscale Meteorology instead of GR 4923 Severe Weather
Additional courses are required to meet AMS, NWS, and/or WMO requirements:
- Dynamic Meteorology II
- Calculus I-III
- Differential Equations
- 2-Calculus based Physics w/labs
- A Chemistry appropriate for science majors
Of these additional courses, MSU only offers Dynamics II online. Contact the advisor with any questions you may have.
ANY SEMESTER/ANY YEAR
GR 4640-Meteorological Internship is not required for the degree or certificate. For more information read our Internship Guidelines.