Ready to Graduate?
We urge all students enrolled in the Applied Meteorology Program (AMP) to familiarize themselves with the policies and procedures of Graduate Studies at Mississippi State University in the Graduate Catalog.
As a graduate student in the Department of Geosciences, you should be aware of the following:
- Students must complete all 36 hours in the Applied Meteorology Program (AMP) from MSU.
- The Department of Geosciences allows graduate students to earn only two grades of "C" in the program. Any additional grade below a "B" will result in dismissal from the program and MSU.
- Students must pass the comprehensive written exam following the completion of the 36 semester hours (12 courses).
- Students must participate in the final Capstone Course.
- The time limit on credits earned that can be accepted toward fulfilling degree requirements is 8 years.
- A student may repeat only one course per degree. Both grades earned for that course will appear on your MSU transcript and will be calculated in your cumulative GPA.
- To remain in good academic standing, students must maintain a GPA of 3.0. Students must complete all program requirements taken at MSU with a GPA of 3.0 or higher in order to be eligible for graduation.
- All students must submit a Pre-Audit Form to the Department of Geosciences' advisor, Yasma Jacobs, firstname.lastname@example.org, by the end of the semester before they plan to graduate (Spring for most students).
The Department of Geosciences does not accept prior credit for any of the Applied Meteorology Program (AMP). Course work taken from other schools will not be accepted in lieu of any of the courses offered in this program. However, course substitution is allowed using MSU Geosciences courses when an individual is already proficient in a specific geoscience discipline.
Apply for A Degree
Prior to graduating, all students must apply for a degree. The application can be found online in the myState portal. Log in and choose the Banner tab. Apply for a Degree is listed under the Academic Records menu.
All application deadlines can be found in the Academic Calendar. Do not miss the deadlines because the cost doubles and then quadruples for late applications.
Can I walk at graduation even though I am a distance student?
Distance students can walk at the graduation ceremony just like any on campus student.
Will my diploma state that I received my degree online?
Your diploma looks exactly like the diploma received by on campus students.
When are graduation ceremonies?
There is a graduation ceremony at the end of the fall and at the end of the spring semesters. There is no ceremony in the summer, but you may still apply for your degree during the summer term. The Office of the Registrar will send summer graduates a card inviting you to walk in the fall graduation ceremony.
When do I apply for graduation?
All application deadlines can be found in the Academic Calendar.
How do I order regalia for graduation?
Orders will be taken each semester about halfway through the semester. For details on the order process visit the Barnes & Noble website.
When will my diploma arrive?
It typically takes about 6 weeks upon the end of a semester for the audits of final grades to be completed and for your diploma to be mailed to you.
How can I order a transcript?
If you wish to order copies of your transcript, please visit the Office of the Registrar's website for instructions.