Admissions Process

To be eligible for admission to the program, the applicant must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, meet the basic requirements specified for graduate students at Mississippi State University, demonstrate interest in the mission of P-12 schools, and demonstrate academic proficiency based on the following indicators:

  • Grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale on the last half of the bachelor's degree
  • Recommendation letter
  • Statement of purpose
  • Copy of valid teacher's license
  • Evidence of three years of teaching experience
  • Current resume
  • Letter of endorsement from current school administrator
  • Portfolio
  • Interview

How to Apply?

To apply, please complete the online Graduate School Admission Application. Under Program of Study, select "Master of Science - Education Leadership with a concentration in School Administration (EDLD)".

Important Note: if you were previously admitted to MSU as an unclassified student, then you are applying to a new degree program. Do not indicate that you are applying to the same program. Only indicate that you are applying to the same program if you were previously admitted to EDLD-EDLS during a past semester.

  1. Select School Administration (EDLS) as your concentration.
  2. Under campus, choose "Center for Distance Education."
  3. Upload your "State of Purpose"
  4. Supply the names and email addresses for three people who will write letters of recommendation.
  5. Submit the $60.00 non-refundable application fee.


Once enrolled in graduate study, a student who fails to meet the continuous enrollment requirement must complete an Application for Readmission to register for classes. Continuous enrollment is defined as enrollment in two of three semester terms (Fall, Spring, or Summer) with Fall enrollment required. Students who have not been enrolled for a period of three years or longer and are in good academic standing, are eligible to reapply to through the Lapsed Student Program. Readmission is not guaranteed and must be approved by the Department Head, Academic Dean, and Dean of the Graduate School. Interested students or academic departments should contact the Graduate School for more information.