Mississippi State University has an application deadline that allows students maximum flexibility in their decision to return to school. Students should note, however, that certain processes do require information to be submitted within a reasonable amount of time. The earlier you apply, the better your selection of courses.
Deadline for Fall Semester: August 1
Deadline for Spring Semester: December 1
Deadline for Summer Semester: May 15
Please submit your application by the posted application deadline even if you have not received an official score on the GMAT or GRE, or if you lack other application materials. The Office of Graduate Admissions will not accept classified (degree-seeking) applications submitted after the deadline. You will be allowed to submit test scores and other documents after the deadline in order to complete your application. Please contact Angelia Knight at email@example.com about other options if you miss the classified (degree-seeking) deadline.
The following is a checklist designed to ensure that you complete all paperwork necessary for taking courses in the MSIS program at Mississippi State University as a classified student. Please note specific instructions for International Students in item 5. Detailed instructions regarding the statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, and payment of the application fee are found within the online application. Questions regarding your application can be addressed to the Office of Graduate Admissions firstname.lastname@example.org or 662.325.7400.
- Application - Complete the online Application for Admission which includes:
Statement of Purpose - Provide two to three paragraphs on who you are, why you want an MSIS, and why you selected Mississippi State University’s Distance MSIS program. You may even discuss your past academic performance, and what that says about your ability to succeed in a graduate level program.
Three (3) Letters of Recommendation - When completing your online application you will be asked for three names and the email addresses of individuals you are using as references. Once you hit "submit" on the application and pay your application fee, your references will receive an email from MSU which will provide a link to an online form for completing their recommendations.
Application fee $60 or $80 for international applications - If you did not submit your $60 payment online during the application process please contact the Office of the Graduate School at 662.325.7400 to make your payment.
- GMAT or GRE - Take the GMAT or GRE and request that your score is sent to MSU.
- Requirement waived for the Summer and Fall 2021 terms due to testing cancellations related to COVID-19
- Resume - Please send electronically to email@example.com.
- Transcript - Request one official transcript from EVERY university or school you have previously attended. Your university should send them directly to MSU, not to you. Electronic transcripts should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org Mississippi State University, Graduate School. Only one copy of an electronic transcript is required.
Paper transcripts should be mailed to:
- International Students - The College of Business requires a minimum TOEFL score of 84 iBT (internet based), or 84 on the revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test, or 575 PBT (unavailable after July 2017) or an IELTS score of 7.0. Detailed information regarding international applications can be found in the Graduate Catalog
- ETS is providing home testing for the TOEFL iBT test, and MSU is encouraging students to take advantage of this testing option. For those students applying for the summer or fall 2020 semester who have taken the TOEFL within five years of the semester they plan to enroll and are unable to access the TOEFL iBT test from home, we will accept your previous test scores.
- Technology - For successful completion of the MSU Distance Education MSIS program please follow the instructions on our Technical Assistance page for recommended technology.
- Orientation - After you are admitted, please sign up for the Online Orientation.
The Office of the Graduate School
P.O. Box G
Mississippi State, MS 39762 Physical Street Address: (DHL, Fed Ex, UPS, DHS)
Mississippi State University
Office of the Graduate School
175 Presidents Circle
617 Allen Hall
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Once enrolled in graduate study, a student who fails to meet the continuous enrollment requirement must complete an Application for Readmission to register for classes. Continuous enrollment is defined as enrollment in two of three semester terms (Fall, Spring, or Summer) with Fall enrollment required. Students who have not been enrolled for a period of three years or longer and are in good academic standing, are eligible to reapply to through the Lapsed Student Program. Readmission is not guaranteed and must be approved by the Department Head, Academic Dean, and Dean of the Graduate School. Interested students or academic departments should contact the Graduate School for more information.